Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bones in Whacko Waco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frank harrist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Bones in Whacko Waco Reply with quote

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/content/news/stories/2006/08/08/08082006wacbosquecountyman.html

Texan Kennewick man? Not too far from you, Hatchettman. Have you heard about this?
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That' s the Horn Shelter site, Frank. I sent Charlie contact info for Al Redder about a month or so ago. He does not have email. Mr. Turner from TAS sent it to me when we were discussing those anomalous individuals. The Horn Shelter male is almost identical to the Spirit Cave individuals in many respects. A pdf I have from Plains Anthopologist describes many archaic features such as heavy supraorbital ridges and dental protrusions similar to early transitional homo sapiens from Europe. Some have suggested a relation to Neanderthal and Homo Erectus but American anthropolotgists are very careful to distance themselves from that association. Alan Bryan does suggest in his UNESCO articles that an extinct form of archaic homo sapiens formerly called Lagoa Santa type was widely distributed in the Americas primarily on the Pacific coastal regions but also in Brazil and American Southwest. It's an old idea that has been rejected staunchly by the Late/Single Entry/ Clovis First crowd but is slowly gaining new acceptance following Owlsley and Jantz et al recent osteological studies and reexaminations in the wake of Kennewick Man.
Cognito

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Genetics Reply with quote

Any possibility of a DNA test for haplogroup? If it's a 10 year old girl with those particular items in her burial, I would guess mtDNA X myself. Cool Any decent teeth from which to extract material?
frank harrist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember hearing about it, but my memory ain't what it use to be. I don't think it was highly publicized anyway. I wouldn't figure it to be. Everyone's afraid of it.
Minimalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One strong indication of this change in thought comes from what archaeologists are finding at other burial sites — tools of both Siberian and European origin. Coupled with the Horn Shelter skull, Dutton said, “we can just scrap that whole ‘everybody-came-over-the Bering-Strait’ idea.”

Oh....he can find himself run out of the ruddy Club for that!
Cognito

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: The Club Reply with quote

Minimalist wrote:
Quote:
Oh....he can find himself run out of the ruddy Club for that!

The Club appears to be falling apart, at least the "Clovis First" wing of the ivory tower. A variety of different disciplines (genetics, geology, linguistics, etc.) are slowly chipping away at old paradigms and rightfully so since many of the old, established ideas never made much sense in the first place.

A good example is the Bering Straight myth. I never believed that one as a kid in grade school either. I do believe some people came to America across Beringia, but it could not have been the only route. Travel by sea would have been safer and quicker.

Tribes were moving from difficult surroundings to some place where the future was perceived as being better. Although I can see where migrations from Asia followed paths of "those who went before", like you, I cannot understand what mythologies told them about the new land and how they figured they would be better off by going there. Shocked
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.

Sorry I've been out of pocket a bit. I'm between Internet providers. The

switchover was supposed to be seemless Rolling Eyes .

They've promised I'll be up by Tuesday.

The Ainu type narrow skull matches the morphology of the skull of Burial II at

Wilson-Leonard. Burial II is dated at 10,300 B.P., uncalibrated. This article

states the Bosque County burial dates to 9,500-10,000 BP. Not sure how

Dutton came up with the "...oldest known Paleo remains in Central Texas..."

Egyptians have narrow skulls also. Wonder if there is genetic tie between the

Ainu, ancient Egyptians and these early Paleo humans in the Americas?

Confused

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Minimalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this over at Archaeologica but this seems a place where a certain degree of interest exists as well.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/280723_kennewick10.html

Quote:
YAKIMA -- A federal law governing protection of American Indian graves would be amended to allow scientific study of ancient remains discovered on federal lands if the remains have not been tied to a current tribe, under a bill proposed by Rep. Doc Hastings, R-Wash.

The bill marks the latest step in a dispute sparked by the 1996 discovery of Kennewick Man, one of the oldest and most complete skeletons ever found in North America.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: