Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Columbian New England Astronomical Sites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2. Infrastructure and precedents. I'm not sure if you have postulated those but I think you are saying they are related to the other New England chambers, in your opinion.

After over 10 years out in the field, I can say that the majority of my sites are definitely related to the New England chamber sites especially since I have found a genuine unfinished chamber within a half a mile of my main observatory complex and within a mile of the majority of my sites...
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the area Tuesday so I stopped at the main observatory site to take a few pictures of the beams of light... The triangle on the right was almost hugging the back wall about a month ago but now it's over a foot away from it...

The light from the sun wont begin to enter the mouth of the cave again until the Autumnal Equinox... The next big event that I will document at the site will be the Summer Solstice... I think I've got all the mechanisms cleaned out so it should be a good show...

Even the triangular rock-cut showed some signs of life yesterday...

DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part do you think intervening trees and foliage play in the solstice light show? It seems they would make a great deal of difference in the patterns of light. Do you know the approximate age of the trees presently in the area? Again, what age do you place on these? I believe you mentioned you think they are older than 500 AD.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
What part do you think intervening trees and foliage play in the solstice light show? It seems they would make a great deal of difference in the patterns of light.

Luckily there's not of interference from the trees at the main Observatory site mainly because of its elevation and the sparseness of tall trees in its main field of view. The elevation of the sun at the time of the Summer Solstice also helps a lot since it will actually be directly over the cave at its highest elevation... Most of the trees around the cave are some type of pine that has long thin needles so they really don't cause too much of a problem at this time of year... The blanket of needles on the ground is actually so thick that about the only vegitation that can survive there are mountain laural bushes and they really don't grow too tall enough to cause an obstruction...

Quote:
Do you know the approximate age of the trees presently in the area?

It's actually difficult to determine the age of the trees because of the rocky soil which might actually slow their growth rate down but I am working on getting tools to take core samples with to see if I can get a close to accurate estimate of their age... Most likely the trees were planted there within the last two or 300 years because the natives in this area would often mark sacred sites with this type of pine.

Quote:
Again, what age do you place on these? I believe you mentioned you think they are older than 500 AD.

Judging by the similarities between the Observatory Cave complex and another site up in Lake Carmel New York with two Solstice/Equinox Chambers, I'd say that both sites were constructed around at least 3000 BC, but my cave site seems to have had a lot more use and may have been active for quite a while longer that the Lake Carmel site was with evidence of continued occupation almost up to colonial times...

The reason I give such an old date to the initial occupation was because of a technology that I discovered to exist in New England back in 1998 that had only been found in connection with ancient European sites like New Grange and Carnac called Solar Basin Reflectors... Unfortunately very few of the Reflectors are still operational in Europe because they were mostly destroyed by the church because of the light show that they would produce at certain times of the year... But I have discovered or identified quite a few throughout New England and two of them are located less than a mile from the main Observatory complex...

The first one is called Jenna's Stone and it is an Autumnal Equinox Sunset Basin Solar Reflector...

It might not look like much but the first time that my assistant and I had seen it in operation, we almost ran off screaming through the woods... I had originally found it back in 1992 but didn't pay too much attention to it until September 27th of 1998, just a few days after the Autumnal Equinox.

We were walking past it at the right time and it was glowing almost bright pink... It really scared the hell out of us because the last thing we expected to see was this glowing boulder on top of a ridge...

The Reflector contains a lot of quartz and had a basin or bowl shaped depression carved into it to reflect the light from the sun around the time of the Autumnal Equinox sunset...

The second one is called Stephanie's Stone and we're starting to suspect that it's a Winter Solstice Sunset Basin Reflector but so far I haven't really been able to find out for sure yet... Hopefully I can get a few people to baby-sit it during the Autumnal Equinox and Winter Solstice to see when it becomes operational.

Then there's this giant pink granite one that's located a couple miles away at another site that I call the Healing Stone...

It not only seemed to be a reflector but also seemed to have been used in some type of ritual or ceremony because of a depression that was carved into the bedrock beneath it just large enough for a live or dead body.

Then I noticed this one on someone's property not too far away from where I used to live back in 2003...

And back in 1998 while I was doing research on Solar Reflectors, I found this image of Stonehenge that shows what appears to be a Solar Reflector basin that still seems to be intact...

DarmonVing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent most of Wednesday out at the main observatory and at the smaller triangular cave and took quite a few pictures of the beams of light moving across the floor... I had a computer glitch so I'm just getting another computer set up with all the imaging software and will probably be downloading the images from the cameras in the next day or two and will post a few of the good ones here.

The small cave that I had named Tracker really gave me a few surprises. I thought that a beam of light from the sun would no longer be entering the mouth of the cave as of Wednesday but it's still penetrating halfway into it... I also noticed a marking stone inside the cave that would seem to indicate that the cave was constructed to mark something other than the Solstices or Equinoxes... It's got to be one of this culture's holidays so I'll have to do a complete search of any days that would fall in between the end of may or the middle of June and possibly another day within the next few weeks as the beam once again touches the stone.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By sheer coincidence, I found myself on a website devoted to the megaliths of the Boyne Valley in Ireland which mentioned the use of diverting light by means of quartz placement in the chamber cairns. I could not help but think of these structures you have been showing here, especially with the use of the quartz for lighting effects. It seems plausible if not probable that there is a connection between the two. The explanations as colonial root cellars and pointless cairns in the middle of the woods seems ludicrous to me. Almost as ludicrous as the suggestion that the Heavener Runestone was the product of erudite pranksters in the early 19th century.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were experts in projecting light where they wanted it to go especially in the case of the Solar Observatory. This is a gif that I made out of the images that I took on the day of the Summer Solstice...

Back on April 28th, three triangle shaped beams of light formed but this time just the main beam and a bar entered the cave... This is a close up of the beams. The progression seen in the above gif started precisely at noon which is pretty amazing. The main beam also started out as almost buffalo skull or Star Trek insignia shaped instead of diamond of triangle.

The light from the sun will not enter the mouth of the cave until the Autumnal Equinox... At 12:15, the light was just beginning to pass in front of the mouth of the cave.

And at around 5:00 PM, the entire area in front of the cave was illuminated but no light entered the mouth of the cave...

The same thing should of happened with the Tracker cave, but the light is still entering it. Rolling Eyes

Tracker had to of been built to mark a significant event that may have spanned a month during the late spring or early summer that was marked by a small stone inside of it.

The main observatory has a marker right in front of it that marks when the sun is at 220 degrees... I took this image when the marker was going to be almost half in shadow and half in light... I wanted to get a picture of it when the sun was exactly at 220 degrees but unfortunately, there was a tree that was blocking the sun at that point... Evil or Very Mad

This is a view of the trees in front of the cave... They usually don't obstruct the sun too much but on the 21st, they did block the sun quite a bit and I had to go from shooting at 5 minute intervals to whenever the beams were able to form... Rolling Eyes

DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarmonVing are you familiar with Rod Schmidt's Equinox Project at Inyo California? This startling prehistoric animation is of the Serpent swallowing the Cosmic Egg which is somewhat similar to the Great Serpent Mound and a serpent pyramid stair in Mexico which uses a similar lighting effect.
http://www.equinox-project.com/default.htm
Rod recently preserved the Occasional Papers of the Epigraphic Society and offers them pretty much at cost. He has some fairly radical ideas concerning PreColumbian visitors to the Americas but interesting evidence whether you agree with him or not.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
DarmonVing are you familiar with Rod Schmidt's Equinox Project at Inyo California? This startling prehistoric animation is of the Serpent swallowing the Cosmic Egg which is somewhat similar to the Great Serpent Mound and a serpent pyramid stair in Mexico which uses a similar lighting effect.

I had read something about the serpent swallowing the egg David but I'm not really sure if I had seen the animation of it before. Very interesting.

It seems like there was a highly advanced knowledge of astronomy and mathematics as well as the ability to accurately plot the movements of the sun and accurately mark the solstices and equinoxes.

My solar observatory is one of the most complex sites that I have studied so far and it took an old 386 computer and a whole lot of computer simulations to partially figure out what it was capable of doing. I still don't know everything there is to know about it and just have some knowledge of its basic functions. It is a completely manmade structure composed of 13 carefully placed stone slabs and has an orientation of 220 degrees. It even resembles an observatory if viewed rom the west side of it.

The west wall of the cave was all composed out of quarried slabs that were propped up against a ridge that had been carved out at approximately a 90 degree angle to form the triangular cave... This must have been a very difficult task even if they did have metal tools...

When I say that they carved out the ridge, they actually carved out the entire ridgeline so that nothing, except for the trees, would prevent the sun from entering the cave...

All the stones had to be placed precisely so that the beam of light entering its mouth would touch the back wall on the Winter Solstice... I took this image back in 2001 on the day of the winter solstice.

One unusual thing about the cave is that there are actually three slabs that were carefully placed on top of one another. The one that looks like a human profile with horns might look like it's part of the semi square stone beneath it, but it's just socketed into it...

The slab above it is just somehow balancing on the forehead of the profile and is not socketed into place... When viewed from the top, the slab is sort of lens shaped and only actually touching the stone behind it on two points.

This is a closeup of one of the points...

And this is another view of the entire formation from the second level as I call it. There's a valley about 50 feet below where I took the picture from and the cave is situated on top of an approximately 20 foot sloped platform to keep the interior of the cave from getting flooded since there is a good sized hole in its ceiling...

And this was the fun part of the day... The cave has a series of foot, knee and hand holds on its side so that someone like me can easily clean out all the openings or just climb up the side of it for the heck of it... Rolling Eyes I can climb it in about 5 minutes on a bad day... And that was a bad day.

DarmonVing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put together a few of the images that I took back in April for comparison. Three triangles were projected on the floor and a shaft of light entered around 5:30 pm after the triangles had disappeared... And the shaft does kind of look like a serpent but I'll have to sift through the rest of the images to see if I took a closeup shot of it... There's more images of the shaft forming but these shots were ones that I had used in sort of a book that I was working on... The shaft actually took about an hour to get to that length.

DarmonVing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've been laid up for the last couple of weeks with a bad ankle strain and some pretty severe leg cramps so I haven't been able to do too much field work since 6/21. I have, however, been in touch with friends from certain native tribes trying to find out if any of them might be able to identify the stone work... So far I've been able to conclude that it isn't Aztec though it does have some similarities to their type of stone work. It seems very possible that at least some of the stone work could possibly be a hybrid between Egyptian and one of the ancient pre-Columbian tribes and at least one European group like the Minoans... The small tracker cave does seem to be set up to mark a month long event during the summer and that could very well be one of the Egyptian holidays that just happens to be a month long...

The eye of this profile as well as the hair style does look remarkably similar to that of Egyptian art work...

Even the Observatory Cave seems to have a marking that resembles the Eye of Horus... The Eye, the diamond and what resembles a Minoan horned helmeted human profile might be an indication of a hybrid of three distinct cultures...

The triangle and diamond were shapes that were apparently important to these people... indicating a knowledge of the Sacred Geometry...

Another symbol that might give a clue to at least the partial origin of these people is this one...

I'll just take some bits and pieces out of a book that I'm about to start working on again... Rolling Eyes after I talk to some of my native friends about the importance and significance of the Pleiades to their tribes...

Well here we go...

According to Fell, the Y-shaped marking was indeed an ancient in Gaelic inscription. Fell stated that the Y-shaped marking represented the Gaelic word "Wa" which, when translated, signified mourning.

This marking had indeed been found in several countries where the Celts and their ancestors had settled, including North America...

The majority of the ones found in America were carved on small grave markers circa 800 BC to approximately 750 AD when the Celts had finally
adopted the practice of burying their dead and had finally made their way to America. The Y-shaped marking was carved on one side of the marker and the name of the person was inscribed on the other.

In a book called Myths of Pre-Columbian America by Donald A. Mackenzie that was originally published in 1923 Mackenzie wrote that... “The Y-shaped symbol is in ancient Egypt associated with the god Shu who supports the firmament. Four Y-shaped symbols represent the sky pillars of the cardinal points. (North, South, East and West) Platforms supported on Y-formed stakes appear to have been symbols of heaven; the corpse laid on the platform was thus offered to heaven; the canoe, supported on Y-form stakes, was evidently symbolic of the sun boat that sailed across the sky, and was entered by the soul of the dead Pharaoh. The Fork of a tree was, it would appear, favored because the pillars of the four cardinal points were represented as trees…” (Mackenzie, p.161)

Mackenzie also stated that “Platform burials are in some lands connected beliefs similar to those of the ancient Persians. In America however, the dead who are thus disposed of are protected in canoes or boxes, or carefully wrapped up on flat boards. The Platform tombs are common in Asia. As in America, they are found to be supported by Y-formed stakes. They are also placed in the forks of trees. “ (Mackenzie, p.161)

Another clue were some unusual looking Stone Chambers that were found in Greece...

I borrowed this image... Rolling Eyes

I might as well borrow this quote too... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Some of the most mysterious monuments found in Greece are the tholoi or beehive-shaped chambers, nine of which have been discovered in ancient Mycenae. One, the so-called Treasury of Atreus, is especially impressive. Sunk into a mountain ridge, the doorway of the chamber is approached by a 40-meter-long passage hewn straight into the hillside, lined with conglomerate ashlar masonry. No cement is used, the blocks fit perfectly, and some are of enormous proportions -- one is 6 meters long and 1.2 meters high. The doorway is 5.4 meters high, capped with a giant slab estimated to weigh 120 tons. Above it is an open triangle which, according to mainstream archeology, was meant to relieve the pressure of the vault on the doorway piers. One then enters the great chamber, a corbelled dome 13.5 meters high and 14.6 meters in diameter, also made of conglomerate ashlar masonry in a cavity cut out of the rock. The blocks are neatly dressed on the inside of the dome; externally they are irregular and covered with masses of stone. The chamber floor is natural rock. A small door leads to a small side-chamber which also has an open triangle above its doorway. Here it is certainly not to relieve pressure on the piers, and this is clearly not the function of such triangles in general. In ancient traditions upward pointing triangles often refer to divinity and the holy trinity, a possible indication that the building may originally have been used as a spiritual site.

http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/world/med/me-vonk.htm

Apparently the archaeologists over there haven't got a clue as to the astronomical significance of the triangle over the doorway especially that the light from the sun is supposed to shine through it at a certain time of the year as it does at my sites... Since it is a full triangle and not a broken one... the site was possibly used to store ashes from cremations and not bodies so it may have indeed been used as a tomb.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I know it's been a while since I've posted anything on this thread but these sites are seasonal so I have to wait for them to do what they're supposed to do.

I spent almost the entire day yesterday at the Observatory site taking pictures and then headed over to the Solar Seflector that I named Jenna's Stone. I camped out there until almost dark but the sun was having a hard time penetrating the cloud cover so I gave up trying to catch the stone glowing and decided that I would try again today...

I got out to Jenna's Stone around 5:30 today and waited there for a little over half an hour and the conditions were perfect... These are just three images of a solar reflector in operation...

Of course in 1998, when this stone scared the you know what out of me and my assistant, it was glowing pink due to some pinkish clouds that were partially obstructing the sun...

Back then I had only had a camcorder with me... Today I had a camcorder, two Nikon D-50's and a mini digital camcorder.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about your statement of the Celts arriving in North America around 800 BC. Could you elaborate on that? Also the part about the Native Americans and the Pleides.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
I'm curious about your statement of the Celts arriving in North America around 800 BC. Could you elaborate on that? Also the part about the Native Americans and the Pleides.

Let's see... When I mentioned the 800 BC date that the burial type that I found was very similar to those that were found on the Iberian Penninsula and constructed by the Iberian Celts circa 800 BC... Around 900 BC there was said to have been a cultural mingling between the southern Celts also known as Canaanites and the Phoenecians. During this time, the Canaanites became a seafaring culture and may have even traveled with the Phoenecians all over the place including here in New England... According to some researchers, there is a Celtic form of Canaanite language that has been found in New Hampshire and quite a few other places...

As for the Pleiades... It was a very important constellation to many native tribes... When it rose in the sky, it's arrival signaled that it was time to plant the crops... The Dakota called the constellation Tiyami and was said to be the home of the ancestors... To the Hopi, it was called Chuhukon and oddly enough, they considered themselves to be the direct descendants of those ancestors that came from there... The Cree said that they came from there in spirit form and then became flesh and blood after they arrived here... The Lakota somehow linked the origin of the Pleiades to the Devil's Tower... I'll have to see if I can get more information on that one... The Navaho called them Delyahey, sparkling suns or the home of the black god...

Oddly enough, the Pleiades and the Big Dipper are the two most important constellations in Native American culture and Native Americans also called the Big Dipper the Great Bear as did certain European Cultures which is quite amazing... Also certain Native cultures referred to the Pleiades as the seven brothers or seven sisters as did certain European cultures... One Tribe in California actually called the Pleiades The Seven Women and said that the women had fled to the sky to escape death...
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iberian/Phoenician connection always seemed to be the most likely to me aside from the Viking Greenland route. I had almost forgotten the Phoenician connection to the tin mines in the British Isles. It's been a while since I read the material but I'd had it in my head for a long time that Canaanite, Phoenician and Carthaginian were all different phases of the same loosely connected culture. With their ancient ports of Gades/Cadiz and Tartessos I can see where the Celtiberians fit into that picture too, but that's getting into the fuzzy part of my memory bank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: