Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Topper Site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beagle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: The Topper Site Reply with quote

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/6372987p-5684968c.html

Quote:
It was on the banks of the Savannah River in Allendale County where Al Goodyear in 2004 found the clues of an ancient civilization that could rewrite the history books.

The University of South Carolina archaeologist and a group of volunteers unearthed artifacts estimated to be 50,000 years old, implying humans lived on this continent before the last Ice Age, far earlier than previously believed.

They uncovered what appeared to be cutting tools and stone chisels used by humans that existed an estimated 37,000 years before the earliest-known inhabitants, known as the Clovis culture. It was a discovery that rocked the archaeological community and generated international media attention.

To date, it's the oldest radiocarbon-dated site in North America, Goodyear said.

"The entire Western Hemisphere is coming under closer scrutiny," Goodyear said. "Everything that I was taught as a student is breaking down rapidly."

I was lucky enough to be able to spend a week at this site last May as a volunteer. It was my first experience at an actual dig site and I learned a great deal from the experience that one just can't get by reading about it.

But I actually wanted to be there to satisfy my own curiousity about these early dates, especially one purported to show strong evidence for human activity at this site 50,000 yrs. ago. My curiousity is more than satisfied, and it's that evidence of pre-ice age man that I'll try to explain with some upcoming posts.

I appreciate any help with the technical aspects, such as dating techniques, etc.
Beagle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First let me try to describe exactly what Topper is like. When I first got there I was hoping to make a spectacular find of some kind. I found out how unlikely that was. Topper is really just an ancient factory. There, along the Savannah river is a huge outcropping of chert. The vein of chert actually extends under the river and into Georgia.

Humans did not actually inhabit Topper. They came there to harvest chert and manufacture their tools. Naturally they took the tools with them, unless they accidently misplaced or lost one. Even so, artifacts are being found there at every level. But mostly the sediment is full of chips and debittage.

It's a very large site that slopes down toward the water, where the Pleistocene Terrace is most available. There is where the 16 ft. deep excavation is at, with the earliest evidence of human activity. I and the other "newbies" worked up top, but we went to watch the activity down below every day.

In the evening, we had guest speakers and lively discussion. It was on Tuesday night, at supper, that Al Goodyear told me about the Firestone Supernova Theory. But that's another thread. I had no cell phone bars and no computer connection. Very frustrating.

I'll post pics of some of the artifacts that have been found there.
Beagle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some that Al has posted on the internet.

These tools are pre-clovis and were not on display at Topper. The excavation has continued and is at a deeper level now.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread, Beagle. Those photos are the best I've run across yet on the Topper artifacts. There's no question in my mind that these are artifacts not geofacts. It's abundantly obvious. I know Mike Collins expressed doubts early on, especially in terms of the carbonized material being directly associated with the lithics. Do you know how many of the critics Al Goodyear has won over at this point? The excavations and analysis seem to have come a long way since the initial breaking of this story. Also, did you happen to see the layer of magnetic spherules that Firestone tells of finding when he visited the site about a year or so ago?

I've been meaning to take some of my grandson's supermagnets to test around some excavations I've made here on Caney Creek, but the weather is just not cooperating and neither is my health.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagle wrote:
Here are some that Al has posted on the internet.

These tools are pre-clovis and were not on display at Topper. The excavation has continued and is at a deeper level now.

Here's a few more Topper artifacts, Beags:

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/topchop.jpg

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/bbtoolconceptual.jpg

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/bb1.jpg

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/bb2.jpg

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/topchop.jpg

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/bbtoolconceptual.jpg

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/bb1.jpg

http://www.allendale-expedition.net/museum/bb2.jpg

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you know how many of the critics Al Goodyear has won over at this point?

If anyone, at this point, is still skeptical about the specimens recovered from Topper being man made, they're either uninformed or living in major denial. Wink

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Beagle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
Thanks for the thread, Beagle. Those photos are the best I've run across yet on the Topper artifacts. There's no question in my mind that these are artifacts not geofacts. It's abundantly obvious. I know Mike Collins expressed doubts early on, especially in terms of the carbonized material being directly associated with the lithics. Do you know how many of the critics Al Goodyear has won over at this point? The excavations and analysis seem to have come a long way since the initial breaking of this story. Also, did you happen to see the layer of magnetic spherules that Firestone tells of finding when he visited the site about a year or so ago?

I've been meaning to take some of my grandson's supermagnets to test around some excavations I've made here on Caney Creek, but the weather is just not cooperating and neither is my health.

Those pics are from the Virtual Museum on the Topper website. I see Charlie has some more that are new to me.

From what I can glean from being there, Al has few if any critics regarding the pre-clovis artifacts that have come out of there. There is a lot of on-going discussion about the 50KYO evidence, but the Archaeologists and others that were there when I was are all agreed that it is firm evidence. I'll be talking about the "core" soon, as I'm trying to keep this thread in a chronological order, at least at first.

I didn't see any evidence of a "black mat" or the other phenomena associated with the comet. I was only told of the high concentrations of iridium at the clovis level. I also looked at a Carolina Bay.

I read about your health problem Dave. Sorry to hear it, and I hope you've had a good recuperation.
Beagle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay...it's a busy summer.

Before I start talking about the Pleistocene Terrace, I want to mention that while I was working up top, we excavated down through middle archaic and late archaic paleoindian strata. Then we had no evidence at all of human occupation for nearly 10" of sediment before we came upon Clovis strata. The archaeologist in charge of this site said that their is usually a 800- 1500 yr. gap after Clovis before any human re-occupation. He said that was true in other Clovis sites in the US. I don't know if he meant all of them.
Beagle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie posted an earlier picture of Al Goodyear standing in a pit, with written descriptions. Since that time the work there has had a shelter put up to help preserve the work.

This is where all the current interest is focused. When I was there, all the staff were very helpful and friendly. Initially, I left no doubt with them that I was interested in evidence of human activity 50,000 yrs. BP. So a nice middle-aged man (about my age) gave me a personal tour of the pavilion. He really knew his stuff. I'm looking at his business card now.
It reads:

Carey (last name)
Address in Alabama
Phone number
E-mail address

Archaeology Technician:
Specializing in Lithic Analysis

I didn't know there was such a title/person. After he showed me everything and explained it all very well, I can tell you that I am forever convinced that humans were in North America 50,000 yrs. ago.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagle, I run into that job title once in awhile in job listings at the Texas Archeological Society. It's usually a Cultural Resource Management position but occasionally the Texas Historical Society and other similar sponsors advertise for technicians too. I think in layman's terms it translates to a low level grunt worker. Very Happy
Beagle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that Carey would agree with you completely. Laughing He enjoys his work though. He is retired from the US Navy, and has a degree in chemistry. I don't see many people as excited as he is with his work. He was one of the few people who, like myself, pulled in with an RV. So he and I were next door neighbors for a week. Carey was there for all of the 5 weeks, and has been there for the last 8 yrs.

This pic is from the recent USC publication, posted in another thread.
I believe that Carey is the white haired man in the red shirt. They only allow experienced people in the pit, although people can watch from the new viewing platform.

Now, most importantly, if one looks closely, directly across from the ladder is a protrusion sticking out of the wall. This is the "core" that has everyone so excited. It's about the size of a bowling ball. As I was carefully shown, it bears the unmistakeable signs of human work on it.

Frankly, after talking to and looking at Charlies lithics for the last year, I would have known that anyway. It's much more obvious than many of the artifacts that he has posted.

The real kicker here, is that this core is situated a few inches below and to the right of some organic matter on the same wall. That's not visible in this pic. This matter is devoid of C14. Other tests on the core and other objects in the pit include TL and OSL.

The organic matter was then assigned a tentative date of 50,000 yrs. BP. The core, which is slightly lower, was given a date of AT LEAST 50,300 yrs. BP.

This is exactly how it was explained to me by Al Goodyear and Carey.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The organic matter was then assigned a tentative date of 50,000 yrs. BP. The core, which is slightly lower, was given a date of AT LEAST 50,300 yrs. BP.

Cool Cool, Beags.

I'm sure glad you went. You brought back a lot of information that hasn't been announced to the public, yet. Do you still have images of Tom holding the handaxe and the in situ handaxe from the 17,000-19,000 B.P. strata?

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Beagle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You bet Charlie, but all I can say for sure about the handaxe is that it came the Clovis/pre-Clovis level. Tom and others were saying that they were pretty sure it was pre-Clovis but that it had to go to the lab for testing. That's why nobody could touch it. It's hard to tell but Tom actually is holding it with a napkin.

This is Tom showing me the handaxe. He was the Archaeologist in charge of this site. I had told Tom that I had friends that would like proof that their were handaxes in North America. I said that to him one evening over a couple of beers. In this picture he had just said "Tell your friends that there ARE handaxes in North America."

He also does a lot of marine archaeology. He brought his scuba gear and boat with him, and on weekends he explored the Savannah river, which went right by the pavillion down below.

Last edited by Beagle on Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Beagle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be a handaxe and the one you're referring to I think Charlie. It never came out of the ground the week I was there. This one is from a very early period, but I can't put a date to it. I think you got it right in your earlier post.

I remember that you drew some lines on this that were significant. Do it again if you like and explain it to me please.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beagle wrote:
This appears to be a handaxe and the one you're referring to I think Charlie. It never came out of the ground the week I was there. This one is from a very early period, but I can't put a date to it. I think you got it right in your earlier post.

I remember that you drew some lines on this that were significant. Do it again if you like and explain it to me please.

Thanks for posting those, Beags.

The handaxes look like they were recovered from the red soil, which is dated to 17,000-19,000 B.P.

Let me track down the highlighted handaxe, and I'll post it.

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: