Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oklahoma Stone Pavement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Oklahoma Stone Pavement Reply with quote

I recently came across this bit of information which relates to the stone pavement found in 1969 between Edmond and Oklahoma City, that is featured in our gallery section along with the spectacular one found later in Colorado. This piece was taken from the Oklahoma newpaper article that appeared in 1969 right after the discovery. It is currently fashionable among certain skeptical geologists to link all known naturally occurring pavements from all over the world to any new one, thus shortcutting the time taken to debunk any suggestion that any new pavement might be artificial or modified by human hands in any way. This article is of note because of the statements by one we must assume is qualified geologist. I will have some similar out of place phenomena to add to this one later as they seem to share some common elements with what I have presented here at Anarchaeology.com.
On June 27,1969, workmen cutting into a rock shelf situated on the Broadway Extension of 122nd Street, between Edmond and Oklahoma City, came upon a find that was to create much controversy among the experts. The find was an inlaid tile floor, found 3 feet below the surface, and covering several thousand square feet. Durwood Pate, an Oklahoma City geologist, commented on the floor in the Edmond Booster of July 3, 1969:

"I am sure this was man-made because the stones are placed in perfect sets of parallel lines which intersect to form a diamond shape, all pointing to the east. We found post holes which measure a perfect two rods from the other two. The top of the stone is very smooth, and if you lift one of them, you will find it is very jagged, which indicates wear on the surface. Everything is too well placed to be a natural formation."

Pate also discovered a form of mortar between the tiles. He believes now that the tile surface served as a common floor for several human shelters over a wide area. Delbert Smith, a geologist and president of the Oklahoma Seismograph Company, summed up the mystery concerning the tile floor in the Tulsa World of June 29, 1969: "There is no question about it. It had been laid there, but I have no idea by whom." Yet another facet of the mystery involved the question of age. There are some differing opinions as to the geology involved, but the best estimate places the tiles at 200,000 years old.

What sets this particular pavement apart is its relatively recent estimated age. While the Colorado pavement along with Rockwall and various other similar phenomena are ascribed a date around the time of the Laramide Orogeny(formation of the Rocky Mountains) during the Upper Cretaceous or shortly thereafter, the date of 200,000 years places the Oklahoma pavement right in the range of claimed hominid habitation sites such as Hueyatlaco and Calico and certainly well within Old World sites in Africa and Europe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> Rockwall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: