Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Couple of New Additions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: A Couple of New Additions Reply with quote

Regular visitors will note two new additions on the galleries page. The first is Caney Creek 3 which features a Paleoindian biface which my 7 year old granddaughter, Rose Anderson, found on the surface of an eroding hillside on Sam Lucky's farm adjacent to mine here on Caney Creek. This is the second such biface found in this vicinity and one of many found in Fannin County over the years. It is very similar to the Guadalupe Bifaces found at the Morhiss Mound near Victoria, Texas in the '30's by WPA project archaeologists. These may be viewed at the Texas Beyond History website here:http://www.texasbeyondhistory.net/morhiss/evidence.html
along with an overview of the site and other artifacts including the Clear Fork tools which are also found here in Fannin County. These Guadalupe and Clear Fork artifacts are listed as unique to Central and South Texas practically everywhere they are mentioned, yet they are found in quantity here in North Texas between the Red and North Sulphur Rivers. David Calame Sr., steward of the Texas Historical Commission has written a paper on one of the caches of these artifacts found in South Texas and dates them to around 6,000 BC or the Early Archaic. I suspect that they may be a bit earlier than that in the Transitional or Late Paleoindian period but I am not going to argue the point until I have more conclusive supporting evidence. I will say that the areas where these artifacts have been found have also produced quite a few Folsom, Dalton and Plainview type lithics, though Allan Skinner who recently did a survey of these found by local collectors has concluded that they have been washed in from further west at the headwaters of the North Sulphur. Naturally, I won't argue with Skinner either since that is where these Caney Creek artifacts are showing up. (North and West of the main channel of the N. Sulphur). Due to the number of these tools and points on display at the Fannin County Historical Museum found by two local collectors, the late Dr. Griffis and the currently punctual Joe Brown, over a period of several decades, it is my contention that an extension or variation of the Guadalupe and Clear Fork tool makers had a sizable population much further north, right here in Fannin County and probably in Lamar, Grayson, and Hunt Counties as well. Presently, it is my intention to group all the artifacts of these types together in one place for comparison and continue to gather more examples as I encounter them. Just how formal this documentation will become, I cannot predict, but I do think it is something that needs doing to further knowledge of North Texas prehistory.

Secondly, my son Nick has added photos of my recent trip to Egypt. For the most part this is a gratuitous exercise in self indulgence but there are a few photos in the mix which are not commonly seen. These are tunnels and chambers beneath the Giza plateau which I would never have seen if not for Sharif, an online acquaintence and resident of Giza, who met me in Cairo and pointed these out to me. The photos of the Valley of Kings from an altitude of 1,000 feet in a hot air balloon were quite a novel experience as I'd never been up in a balloon before and had only seen the Valley of the Kings, the day previous to my break of dawn flight. The balloon was called Sinbad; the pilot's name was Ismael. And lastly the first few photos are from Heidelberg, Germany, where the huge relief of Pan took me quite by surprise in a Catholic cathedral. The skull and crossbones are an image found everywhere in the medieval cathedrals I visited and are said to be a constant reminder of mortality or who's really in charge. The really astonishing discovery I made in the mountains outside Heidelberg, will have to wait until I locate the photos I took of it, which are presently in some undisclosed cache somewhere in the vast reaches of the world wide web where my nephew Carl stashed them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: