Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Symbols on Rockwall stone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jschnyder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Symbols on Rockwall stone Reply with quote

Does anyone have a great photo of the symbols found on the Rockwall stone? I recently became aware of a stone found near Lake Huron with some striking resemblances to the Rockwall symbols. I will see if I can find a way to post a picture of the Lake Huron stone.

If anyone is interested in seeing the photo of the Lake Huron stone, please send me an e-mail at jimschnyder@yahoo.com.

Here is the picture I used to compare...
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo used for the logo of the Quivira Project section is a reconstruction and mirroring of that reconstruction minus the measuring stick and jar which partially obscure the inscription in the original. Minimal extrapolation was used to reconstruct the original 1949 photo taken by Sanders north of the square on the property where he excavated it some 30 feet below the surface. The inscription is a shallow engraving and local black dirt was rubbed into the inscription to make it more visible for photographing. This is similar to the practice some use of chalking petroglyphs for better visibility. Similar petroglyphs with images of turtles and what Dr. Glen interpreted as a goddess figure were also discovered but were left exposed to the elements so that they eventually became eroded and obscured completely. The one block I personally observed from that site showed no discernible sign of imagery.

The left portion of the image by Kevin which you linked bears no resemblence that I can see to the Sanders inscription. It looks vaguely Arabic to me but I'm no authority on ancient scripts. The right hand sandstone fragment from Kevin's photo does seem more similar to the Phoenician-type script on the Sanders block but Indian petroglyphs from New Mexico also contain some of the same glyphs particularly the circle with decender which is like the Q or qopa of ancient Middle Eastern alphabets. In American Indian symbolism of the desert Southwest it signifies a spring. The "running W" on the Sanders' inscription (this is difficult to see in the photograph but it is at the beginning of the inscription on the near left and near right respectively) signifies a mass movement in the Southwestern symbol system. I'm not implying that there is a direct correlation between the Sanders stone inscription and the Indian petroglyphs of the Southwest nor any ancient Middle Eastern script, only that those are the only two reasonable matches that I have found. Additionally, the fact that Sanders discovered the Rockwall inscription at a depth of 30 feet would seem to make it too old to be related to any known writing system.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inscriptions that were on the Hanby Stones, discovered in 2006, and featured in the newer galleries bear a slight similarity to those dredged from a submerged Egyptian temple on the Nile in 2008. I saw others at Luxor when I visited there last year. The resemblence is undoubtedly superficial and I would be the last to suggest that there is any direct connection between Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs and Rockwall, but it does bear mention. The Egyptian examples are considerably better executed and the difference in age (as in millions of years) seems to preclude any connection at all. The Hanby Stones do appear to be the work of intelligence, not necessarily human, pre-human or even mammalian. A Texas archaeologist whom I asked for input, stated that he had found similar beveled, straight line inscribed marks on stones he'd excavated from hisorical sites in Dallas and Denton County. He was of the opinion that they were made by a specific type of plow used in 19th and early 20th century Texas and had done some informal experiments in the field to reproduce such marks. The patination in the Hanby Stones inscriptions which is identical to that found all over the stones seemed to indicate great age and the stones which had been taken from nearby exposures of the walls for use as footings in a late 19th century wooden structure had been carefully placed with the inscribed sides face down. It must be added that the high iron content found in many of the stones from the wall causes the magnetic signature to alter swiftly as noted by Goss and Ellwood in their magnetic surveys. Weathering also occurs at a rapid rate and migration of the iron staining is likewise rapid as I have observed in my specimens of Rockwall material. I am not saying that any of this is particularly relevant as to the dating of the inscriptions but these are factors that should be known in any attempt to assess them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> Rockwall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: