Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite, David. I look forward to some good discussions about Rockwall and the other sites.

I'll start out with:

How did you arrive at a Phoenecian origin of these places?

Oz
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Phoenician origin Reply with quote

The Phoenician title came from the fact that Gloria Farley had found a Phoenician variant in a large petroglyph on Gaines Creek which is in the nearby LeFlore County Oklahoma. The furnace pit still contained slag from metal smelting according to locals as well a huge stone ore grinding bowl. These had been bulldozed over by the time I discovered the site. Many of the walls and an Indian cabin had also been pushed off into the surrounding canyons.In light of the discovery in 1994 by the Oklahoma Archeological Survey of a fish weir made of these blocks in the Kiamichi River around 1500 BC, I have come to believe that indigenous people instead of Phoenicians used this particular site. The OAS said that the blocks had been quarried very near the Kiamichi River which means very close to the "Phoenician Fortress" if not the site itself. The survey also has pictures on its website of the Kenton Cave in Cimarron County in the Oklahoma panhandle which contains many petroglyphs very similar to Old World proto writing. The script found in Rockwall defiinitely contains a "Q" and "U"or "W" from early Semitic scripts(The Phoenicians were also known as the Canaanites,Carthaginians,Sea People and Lebanese at various stages of their long history). Though I still think the Phoenicians visited the area,(Gordon Jacobs has an example of the script as well as square stones on his Signs of Passage website from the Washita River near Anadarko, Oklahoma) I now believe the influence was minimal at this site in Oklahoma. I retain the name because so many have come to identify it with the site.Glad to have you aboard, Rick.
Dee Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: We miss you! Reply with quote

Things have been kinda crazy around the house. My oldest left and my youngest came back! John has been back and forth to East Texas and Austin. I'll fill you in on the details next time we see you. John now has an editor/writer helping him. He went back to first person as you and I always wanted. He promises me all the good, bad and ugly will be in this draft. I'm sure he will be contacting you soon. Please stop by next time you are through here. Tell Sue hello and bring her and the kiddos too!! See you soon.

Dee
Dee Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: always in a hurry Reply with quote

I also wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed the new format. It is very well put together and easy to get around. LOVE IT!

Dee
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Glad to hear from Dee!! Reply with quote

Dee, it has been almost impossible for me to get back to Rockwall the last few months but I do have some new developments to discuss with you all. I will make a special trip for that hopefully this weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> Rockwall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: