Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just some minor mistakes with Fell's translations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Just some minor mistakes with Fell's translations Reply with quote

In America BC, Fell made some minor mistakes when he translated some Algonquin words that he thought sounded very much like Gaelic... These were the words that he targeted...

His mistake was basically trying to match Algonquin words with what he thought was their modern Gaelic equivelant... He was pretty close with a few of the translations, but apparently didn't know enough about Ancient Gaelic to figure out that almost every letter of that language represented a word... And in some cases, one letter could represent at least ten different words depending on the contect of the statement or sentence.

This is how he should have translated the words and this would have proven once and for all that, at least part of the ancient Algonquin language was based on an ancient European language...

As you can see... the Algonquin words translated using the Ancient Gaelic are very similar.

These are just simple translations using the basic form of the language... The original parent language is surprisingly more complex... One of the first words that I translated was the word "Cognewaugh". It's the name of a road near where I found the three caves and one that was clearly not colonial in origin... This word is actually a very good example of what I call the Egyptian varient of the Old Gaelic language... The letter H is not considered to be a letter but rather a pronunciation mark and the letter H is only found in certain native words in a few places in New England where stone chambers and similar things have been found...

Other examples of the varient can be seen in words like Masachusetts and Hammonasset(t). "Sett" is also found in words like Narragansett, Pataguanset and Paugussett which is also interesting

The word Cognewaugh, when translated, looks like this...

In this particular form of the language at least 8 statements can be found but if it were the original parent language, then at least 2 to 4 more statements could be found if translating the word from right to left...

They did have a knowledge of the language but only chose to use the left to right translation method...

A simple example of the duel translatability of a word is the word "Toquam" which was supposed to be either a tribe or a place name.
Using the rules of translation the letter "Q" in "TOQUAM" would become the letter "C" pronunced "CU" which would become "CA" in the old language and the word would become "TOCUAM"... In reverse the word would be "MAUCOT"... To throw people off the trail that really didn't know about the multiple contexts they would sometimes make a false statement.

In this translation the first statement is false. The second two are the true statements and the last two are supporting statements...

The first statement is "From a Dog Time" which could either be false or it could also have something with a time when there was some type of dog or dog headed god in their homeland...

The other four statements seem to indicate that a child was born... The message was most likely from a woman announcing to her husband that he now had a son... "A son indeed which from I" and "A son indeed as yours".
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darmonving you might consider joining this group;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/epigraphy/messages

these are members of the original group barry fell founded. they are much more into the epigraphy aspect which you have outlined here for your sight and can probably give you better feedback on language aspect of your site.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about working with anyone from Fell's camp... The linguistic expert that gave me a crash course in deciphering the language really didn't get along with Fell too good. Rolling Eyes
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most practicing linguists don't agree with fell's translations at all and he made a lot of enemies while he was alive. the group i mentioned is the only one extant from the epigraphic society which pretty well disintegrated after fell died. it has its share of skeptics now in its yahoo incarnation, including doug the ubiquitous who shows up to debunk practically every non mainstream forum existing in cyberspace which even whispers diffusion or out of place artifacts. the only reason i mentioned epigraphy is that the people there are much more immersed in inscriptions as opposed to artifacts. i know very little about the subject myself as far as ancient linguistics go.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fell's methods were a little crude but he was definitely on the right track. If he had a Scottish Gaelic Dictionary circa 1923 he would have done much better with it though I do think that he really would of had a problem in understanding its complexity.

These people basically wrote on stone and the fewer letters or words to work with, the better. It was also a great code language. All a messenger would have do do was remember one single almost completely meaningless word. If the messenger was captured, then the enemy would just be left scratching their heads. One form, when written, could be concealed in elaborate pictures etched in wood and other materials and kind of looked very similar to scrimshaw.

Quote:
i know very little about the subject myself as far as ancient linguistics go.

I didn't really know anything about linguistics until 1998. All I was interested in was finding anything that might of even remotely been shaped by man and I hit the jackpot when I started looking in one researcher's back yard in Connecticut while he was off wandering around New York State. He still, after 13 years, hasn't been to any of my sites even though I've been to a number of his.

I'm good at identifying the language if I see it in supposedly native place names and could probably pick up certain words in some spoken languages but inscriptions are still somewhat alien to me... I wasn't even sure that there were any inscriptions at any of the sites until that linguistics expert started drawing on stones with a piece of chalk.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest in ancient inscriptions came after I found the inscriptions that Sanders had found on a two ton stone thirty feet below the surface in the buried wall there. One symbol was the Phoenician/paleo Hebrew "qopa". This is also common to a number of ancient alphabets from the mideast but it is also a Native American symbol for a spring found in the Four Corners area according to the pamphlet on petrogyphs John Lindsey got at Aztec, New Mexico.

Later I found a fish symbol which appears in a tablet from one of the mounds excavated by Squires and Davis. This symbol is very close to ICTHYS symbol which the early Gnostics adopted from the Greeks, also termed the vesica pisces which had significance in a number of hermetic cults. These commonalities may simply be coincidences but a motif combining a series of vesica pisces also forms the DNA molecule which is also embedded in the modern symbol of the medical profession, formed by intertwined snakes, the ancient symbol of wisdom and healing.

The vicissitudes of temporal reality are overlayed with a latticework of coincidences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: