Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preliminary Results from Rockwall

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Preliminary Results from Rockwall Reply with quote

The following is an excerpt from a communication with Paul Heinrich, a geologist at LSU regarding some samples of the Rockwall stone and mortar material.

I have had one thin section made from the sample that you
sent and acquired another sample. One very intersting
aspect of the sample is its laminations it exhibited in hand
specimen. The thin section showed a well sorted, fine-grained
quartz and feldspar sand with heavy minerals with a well-
developed poikilotopic cement. This is a type of
calcite cement, in which the cement consists of single
crystals of calcite surrounding the sand. The optical
continuity of the calcite cement over large parts of the
thin section are quite striking. Although the term
"poikilotopic" is used normally for igneous and
metamorphic textures, poikilotopic calcite cement is
a sedimentary in origin and quite common in numerous
calcite-cemented sandstones.

It should be noted that in 1874, Richard Burleson, the first geologist to examine the walls, thought they were an igneous formation extruded from below which did not extend above the surface. It was Dr. Robert T. Hill in 1901 who first proposed that the walls were sedimentary in origin and the results of processes which formed the Balcones Fault which he assumed ran through Rockwall. This assumption was refuted by Dr. John T. Lonsdale, Director of the Bureau of Economic Geology of the University of Texas, in January 13, 1959, when he published an article categorically stating that the Balcones Fault ran no further than Hill County. Further he added that the Mexia Fault which runs through Hunt County and east of Rockwall had no involvement in Rockwall or Collin Counties. The latter are the two counties which evidence the buried wall phenomena of Rockwall.
Lance Oliver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Cell Structures Reply with quote

I've seen similar cell structures seen in some of the gallery pics appear in some of the rocks near where I live in Denton. They have a strange lamination pattern and I was always wondering if they were natural or some kind of ancient artifact.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Denton County cells Reply with quote

As I noted in another reply to you on this board, there is said to be another Rockwall type structure on Milam Creek just north of Denton. John Lindsey and I attempted to locate and photograph it but we were run out by an individual who claimed the creek was private property. I would greatly appreciate it if you would photograph the cells you have seen and send them to me. If possible please get a sample of one. There are some very important paleoindian sites in Denton County, so keep a sharp eye out for any artifacts which you might find which might be in direct association with the cells. Be sure to photograph them in place noting the location as exactly as you can, if you decide to remove them.
Lance Oliver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Milam Creek Reply with quote

I'll do my best to get out there again and take some pics. I'm not sure if it's the same creek or not but part of it does run thru private property.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> Rockwall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: