Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Columbian New England Astronomical Sites
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Pre-Columbian New England Astronomical Sites Reply with quote

The question was raised as to why these people that I'm on the track of would build such large stone structures and monuments... One reason seems to point to some religious or spiritual significance, but some also seem to have been built for astronomical purposes...

Before I go any deeper into some of the more complex astronomical sites, I'll give you all a relatively easy one to figure out... In 1994, I found this unusual rock formation which had seven depressions in one of the stones... Oddly enough, there are also seven stones in the formation.

After scratching my head for a while, I finally found out what I was looking at but before I tell you what the significance of it is, I want to see if you can figure out what its purpose was.

Here's another picture of the depressions.

I'll add some more clues later if you have any problems with it. Right now I'm headed out to the site where it's located to play around with it for a little while and see if there's anything I missed. I will give you a clue before I go... The only thing that I had to work with originally was the word "Behold" that was inscribed on one of the stones...

And yes, this is a test... Wink
frank harrist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no study notes. I have no clue. I couldn't see seven depressions. I give up.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could only count five myself, but I assume from the file title that the seven impressions represent the constellation Pleides. Then I suppose when the Pleides align to match the stone impressions that gives a date? I'm pretty dim when it comes to astronomy; I can find the Ursa Major and Minor, Venus, lately Mars, Luna and sometimes Sol when the skies are not cloudy all day. If it gets much more complex than simple alignments, I fall into the mental bar ditch. Same thing with sacred geometry. Sad
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
I could only count five myself, but I assume from the file title that the seven impressions represent the constellation Pleides.

You got it David... It is the Pleides. Cool Due to a significant amount of weathering only 5 of the depressions are easy to photograph but I did do an enhancement of them...

Even when I figured out what the markings represented, I still wasn't sure how it worked... It was only after a few years of playing around with it that I finally figured out that there was. I finally realized that if I looked between the two boulders from a certain angle, the gap between them became a distinct notch. I took compass bearings of the notch from where I was standing and was able to determine that, at a certain time of the year, the Pleiades would rise out of the notch... The only problem I had was that there had to be a specific place to stand... Something to mark the place where someone would have to stand in order to see the Pleiades rise...

What complicated things is that there is a tree in the way of the sight lines. Every once in a while I would trip over this stone and never really took a good look at it...

Finally, I was leading a tour back in 1998 and I was telling the group about the problem that I was having with finding the right place to stand and a NEARA member pointed right to that damned stone and said that the tip of it looked like an arrow... Rolling Eyes

It was only then that I realized that there was an indentation that was roughly in the shape of a human foot as if to say stand right here and look over there.

This was such a major monument that when the builder died, he was buried about 15 feet in front of it in this rather well marked grave.

It was their custom that when an important enough person died, everyone in the tribe or clan would place a stone on top of the grave. The grave itself was situated between a split boulder with several smaller stones placed on top of it... I still carry on the custom and place a small stone on his grave every time I pass by it. The Iberian Celts circa 1800 BC would also bury their dead in a similar way and there were many legends throughout Ireland and Europe that graves were often covered with stones to keep the dead from rising.

To make sure that no one forgot him, a rough likeness of his profile was placed on a nearby ridge that could be clearly seen through the notch, when the tree wasn't there, if standing on the other side of the formation.

And here is his profile...

And this is about what you'd see through the notch if there weren't so many trees in the way... Of course the Pleiades would probably be just a little bit smaller but it's pretty close...

The Pleiades was an important constellation to a great many cultures and told them when to plant and harvest their crops and marked festivals, seasons and calendars around the world. When it was directly overhead, it also marked the Witches' Sabbath or Black Sabbath in medieval Europe or what we now know as Halloween.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far it's been raining for the last two days with more rain expected tomorrow so any studying of solar allignments is out of the question for now. Astronomical and especially solar related sites are sometimes a little difficult to figure out but with a simple astronomy program and a good compass, it's pretty easy to figure out what happens at a particular site once you do find some astronomical significance.

The two new sites that will need some amount of study are the smallest of the three caves and the triangular rock cut that was just recently found.

The small cave, or cave number two, is a good example of a solar allignment marker... As you can see, the light from the sun is partially illuminating the cave... If I had hung around for maybe another hour, the tip of the triangle of light would have alligned itself with the canter of the cave. If the sun were at a specific elevation, then the entire rock cut would have also been completely illuminated... This probably occurred right at the beginning of spring... As the sun's elevation decreases, the less the light will enter the cave... Once the sun reaches its highest elevation at the summer solstice, then the light should no longer penetrate the cave... I'm not sure what the exact allignment is but it's got to be between 200 to 220 degrees sough-southwest.

The rock cut seems to be a similar marker but was photographed after the sun had moved out of its allignment with it so I'll be babysitting it the next clear day we have to see what happens.

Both these sites are satellites for another, much larger astronomical site but I need to do some more research with them to see how they tie in with the larger one and get a few images of the sun going into and out of allignment with cave number two to better demonstrate how the larger site works...
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about artifacts Question have you found any near these sites Question
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
what about artifacts Question have you found any near these sites Question

Yes I have found some artifacts that needed to be rescued and there's probably a whole lot more concealed beneath the leaves...

This one is a large hand tool... It's got a blunt buisness end so it was probably used for crushing things and would have made a nice weapon. I used a modified B/W hand scanner to help pick up any details that might have gotten washed out in a photograph...

This is a smaller hand axe.

I'm not sure what this was used for but I have two slightly different examples of it so it must have been something that they worked with quite a bit.

This is basically what I have in my collection at the moment. The diamond shaped stone on the right was one of the first artifacts that I recovered... Not pictured are two of the hand axes that I currently have out on loan but should be coming back in a few weeks...

DarmonVing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I spent 3 days in the field with two of the days being devoted to taking time lapse images at the small triangular cave and the main astronomical site... The images came out really good and it's just a matter of reducing them from 3 meg images to little kilabyte gif images so they can be turned into animated gifs... Rolling Eyes The observations made at the main site turned up some new data and it has to be cross referenced with my new Sun Tracker software, that I haven't installed on my computer yet, to come up with an accurate time reference as to exactly when certain things happen at the two sites.

The small cave turned out to be a rather interesting site because it almost mirrors exactly what happens at the main astronomical/solar site. It acurately tracks the movement of the sun from around noon to 3:30 PM and also seems to track the elevation of the sun from the spring equinox to the summer solstice but I wont know for sure until some direct observations can be made at those times of year...

This is a still that was taken on 4/27 at the small cave site... If I'm right, the beam of light should no longer enter the cave on the summer solstice...

These are some images that I took at the main site...

At around noon, a diamond shaped beam of light forms right at the left wall and moves across the floor and transforms from a diamond, to something that looks like one of them badges from Star Trek, back into a diamond again and then finally turns into a triangle...

It's basically the the secondary elevation and tracking indicator that's active from Autumn Equinox to Autumn Equinox...

After the sun passes the range of the primary elevation tracker, which is active from the the winter solstice to the spring eqionox, two indicator beams form...

The indicator closest to the left wall is the only indicator that remains operational all year around. The other indicator is the spring equinox marker and is only active from the spring equinox to the spring equinox...

Once the sun reaches a certain point in the sky around 4:30 PM, the beams disappear and get replaced by a long shaft of light... At around 5:30 PM, I took this image of the shaft...

In between taking images, I was doing some badly needed maintenance to clear the entry points for the beams of debris and I discovered another one so I'll have to go back there and see if any more beams get projected onto the floor... Rolling Eyes It's tuff keeping this thing operational especially since the builders didn't leave an instruction manual for me to read along with a detailed set of schematics... Wink
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These people seemed to have a triangular and diamond way of thinking when they planned these sites out... The main observatory, the small cave and the triangular rock-cut form a triangle... Their periods of obsevation were either from the Autumn Equinox to the Summer Solstice and back to the Autum Equinox or from the Autumn Equinox to the Winter Solstice and back to the Autum Equinox... The four seasons were represented as a diamond with the winter solstice at the lowest point and the summer solstice as the highest...

This artifact seems to be an indication of that fact and is almost in the same shape as the first beam of light as it first enters the main observatory...

The funny thing about this artifact though is that it was found about two miles down river from the observatory at another site which was actually the first one that I found back in 1993...

This one is a real head scratcher because we still haven't figured out what it was used for...

But at least we know who built it... Rolling Eyes

There's an observation platform to the right and above it so something was supposed to happen there... We kind of jokingly call the main stone, the stone diving board, because it's over 150 feet up a 300 foot cliff overlooking a river but we're hoping that it wasn't used for anything bad like sacrificing people...

This is another view of the platform which has storage space beneath it... It's at an elevetion of over 200 feet up the cliff...

And this is a view from above...

DarmonVing

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a special mission today trying to locate a good site to name after a special lady but I did have time to stop back at the main observatory complex and take two real close images of the beam of light as it began to transform from a diamond to a triangle.

DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the parallellogram artifact, DarmonVing, I have one just like it. I think there's a photo of it in the geological oddities section. It was found around the "Phoenician Fortress" in SE Oklahoma on one of my last expeditions up there.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phoenician Fortress is an interesting site with a lot of similarities to some of the modified ridgelines near my sites... I've found similar things to what I saw in the "David_beside_section_9-17-00.JPG" One trick that they seemed to do was to lean thin slabs up against one side of the lower ridges so that maybe a little over a foot of the slab was sticking up over the top of the ridge. On some of the higher ridges, they did anything that they could to make it impossible to climb them on the steep sides...

This is fortress ridge... They even put a platform near the top of the highest point of it for some reason...

Here's a top view of the platform...

It seemed like a highly defensible location and there were quite a few rocks nearby to drop on people and animals...

This is a view from near the top of it... It seems like they modified the top of the ridgeline so that it had a gentle slope perhaps for them to quickly get to the highest part and ambush any approaching enemies approaching them from the steep side...

I also noticed that "boulders.jpg" and did find something just a bit similar to those stones...

DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These last photos look amazingly similar to some spots along Sandy Creek in Oklahoma. Even if they were natural formations they provide natural fortification and dominance of the waterways below them which almost certainly were taken advantage of. On Sandy Creek numerous artifacts such as projectile points have been found; have you found anything around these structures, DarmonVing? The ones in Oklahoma go back to the Archaic and before.
DarmonVing

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't really been looking for projectile points too much but I know some people that hike around some of my sites have found them. There's a lot of dead leaves and dense vegetation in a lot of the areas so finding anything small like a point is rather difficult and some of the trail beds are so loaded with rocks that it would take me quite a while to sift through them all.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second photo from the top of the fortress shows an amazingly organized section of blocks. I've just been looking at a number of debunking articles concerning the Bosnian pyramid which drags up the usual collection of pavements and walls from geological sites around the world with the usual opaque technical terminology explaining the natural processes. In one I found a set of useful parameters when counter arguing for artificiality though the writer probably did not mean them to be used as such.
1. Tool marks. I think you have provided those.
2. Infrastructure and precedents. I'm not sure if you have postulated those but I think you are saying they are related to the other New England chambers, in your opinion.
3. Artifacts. These are the sine qua non for proving artificiality. So it is worth the effort for you to locate some in direct context if possible. That is, if you are even concerned with convincing the skeptics. A hearth would be great. I don't know how you feel about digging up human remains(I'm somewhat opposed to it myself) but animal bone especially if charred would provide a reliable date if found in context.

If you have not done so already, look at the Colorado pavement thread in the Rockwall update section with the photo of the Tasmanian pavement. I spent several hours going through images of ancient walls and I found many, especially in Turkey that are indistinguishable from these natural pavements. I was trying to find an image like the one I caught a glimpse of in the film
Jarhead which was identical in style of masonry to some of the lower levels at Rockwall. Of course the film was made in Mexico but I've seen those before in images from North Africa so I hoped I'd find them again but no luck. An exchange student from North Africa attending SMU view the walls when they were exposed and exclaimed that they looked just like the ancient walls in his homeland which I believe was Morocco. Just when the debunker mental wizards have me hypnotized into accepting all these sites as natural, something wakes me up to my original intuition that they are not. Science is a decent tool within its limitations but as Dirty Harry remarked: " A man's got to know his limitations." Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: