Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Lucky Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: My Lucky Site Reply with quote

This rainy, dreary Labor Day turned out to be my lucky day. Around noon I decided to go out walking in the wet weeds to stave off the stir craziness after two straight days of drizzle. Not that we did not desperately need the rain and cooler temperatures, but I had been getting antsy to get out and find something. My neighbor, Sam Lucky, has a small herd of pinto ponies which have gnawed his pasture down to bare dirt on the stepped slopes leading down toward Caney Creek. I had found an intriguing bit of debitage in one of those bare spots several months ago, so I naturally gravitated in that direction today. The first thing I found was a glassy blue black flake of exotic (ie. not from around here) flint. It was not long before I found several telltale chips of white novachert and the familiar gray tinged with red quartzite. Following the eroded horizon of exposed red clay around the base of the first "terrace" I found the broken tip of what looks to be a large to medium dart point made of an exotic flint with concentric brown rings interspersed with light gray. By that time I was getting pretty drenched from the persistent drizzle and headed back to the house to see if I could call Sam and get permission to do a little shallow trenching to find the main campsite. His phone had been disconnected and his dogs were screening visitors at the fenceline so I decided to contact him by snailmail later when the rain let up.
Flushed with success, I could not sit around the hacienda for long, so a couple of hours I went back equipped with my trusty ten inch bolo "trowel" for a little light probing. It wasn't long before I found an end scraper and a core of gray quartzite along with some kind of bone or tooth which was semi lustrous despite being quite ancient according to the relative context. My first impression was that it was part of a mammoth molar but that may be desperately wishful thinking. I kept finding bits and pieces of debitatage and was about to head back in when I found a couple of fairly large pebbles which had the appearance of burned clay. Probing a few inches deeper with the bolo knife, I found lumps of charcoal fused to light colored burned clay. At that point I figured I'd better stop before I screwed up what could possibly be a hearth. Assuming I get Sam's permission, I'll go back with a trowel and grid off a meter to excavate more carefully. I did however label my surface finds today with date and location so that I won't be puzzled when I rediscover them a couple of years later in my pathetic collections of flakes, fragments and odd rocks. Wink
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, David! (notice the comma Frank Razz )

If you've got a hearth on private property, and the owner is cool with it, then your gonna have all kinds of fun!! How many terraces up from the current creekbed is the possible hearth? Are there different soils to differentiate where the hearth is stratigraphically?

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By terraces I mean berm like landforms which farmers use to slow erosion on sloping land. That's what I'd always assumed they were until a former resident told me the land had never been terraced. The soil layers are quite distinct where exposed and the topsoil has eroded down to the first clay layer where I found the hearth. And yes, I intend to have a great deal of fun with it as soon as I get clear permission to excavate. That "tooth" or whatever it is really got me fired up as it is the first time I've found organic material near artifacts here. I'm crossing my fingers that this hearth doesn't turn out to be the result of some ancient natural fire; that seems to be a common fate for most interesting hearths, especially if there are inconvenient artifacts nearby.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By terraces I mean berm like landforms which farmers use to slow erosion on sloping land. That's what I'd always assumed they were until a former resident told me the land had never been terraced. The soil layers are quite distinct where exposed and the topsoil has eroded down to the first clay layer where I found the hearth. And yes, I intend to have a great deal of fun with it as soon as I get clear permission to excavate. That "tooth" or whatever it is really got me fired up as it is the first time I've found organic material near artifacts here. I'm crossing my fingers that this hearth doesn't turn out to be the result of some ancient natural fire; that seems to be a common fate for most interesting hearths, especially if there are inconvenient artifacts nearby.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to: the natural terraces along the creek channel. Here there's two distinct terraces created by underlying Pleistocene deposits (TARL Q2 and Q3). Sounds like you have clay forming the terraces versus gravel here. Interestingly, the more highly elevated Q3 deposit is infered to be older than Q2 by TARL and TxDOT.

We'll definitely stay tuned.

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late this evening I followed a cloud of dust arising from below my house and the noise of a tractor. It turned out to be my neighbor, Sam Lucky mowing down weeds to stimulate grass replacement in his lower pasture. We had a productive conversation in which I agreed to let him rehabilitate my lower field into a productive hay field for his horses. He was more than agreeable to let me lightly excavate the suspected hearth I'd found and probe for more artifacts as long as I didn't dig anything deep enough to injure his horses. Looks like I'll do just that this week. He also told me he'd found a rather deep hole in his pasture while mowing and two "soap trees" behind his house which are not native to this area but rather Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma. Sounds to me as if there were at least a couple of Caddo permanent settlements here and probably groups well before that judging by the artifacts. Looks like I'm on a role again.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, David!! Very Happy

It's a good time of the year for digging.

Keep us updated Bro.

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out to the Lucky Site to excavate the suspected hearth which I had lost for about a week due to rains obliterating signs where I had pulled up the first nodules of burned clay and charcoal. Having rediscovered it yesterday by a lucky probe after tediously pacing back and forth for a few hours, I returned today. Carefully removing five inches of loam and clay I reached a layer in which no more nodules were to be found. I had begun with a rectangular unit 12X6 inches centered on the spot my probe had found the first nodules just below the surface about 2 inches. Since I was limited by my agreement with the owner not to create a hazard for his horses, I backfilled the hole and began another one at the same depth and width but half the length. Again I stopped when I ceased to find any more significant nodules. The shallow depth was disappointing as was the lack of any diagnostic artifacts, faunal material or debitage. Since there was nothing of any cultural significance to be found, I must conclude that this was a relatively recent natural fire. On the plus side I did find a large red quartzite cobble near there Sunday with two large consecutive flake scars. I'm almost positive this was a tool related to the artifact fragment and debitage I've found there previously. Also I suspect that the main site should I be lucky enough to find it is going to be in the Caddo or Fourche-Maline period. Not quite as exciting as my previous site but I'll take what I can get.
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another lucky day, though not at the Lucky Site, but right behind my house. I went to check if the water had dried out of the two and half foot deep trench I'd been working on and there it was right at the last place I'd excavated down to the blue arenaceous clay. It was a VERY thick biface with a concave base, somewhat resembling the humpbacked scrapers from the Sulphur River, made of tan orthoquartzite unlike the mottled gray and red stuff I'd previously found. We took digital photos of both sides and as soon as I add some other notable pieces I've found lately, I'll get hardcopies made and scan them. Very encouraging after such a long dry spell, find wise.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

...The Book of Mormon states that there were pre-Columbian peoples that were white, literate, had knowledge of Old World languages, and possessed Old World derived writing systems. (E.g. 1 Nephi 13:23 et. seq.) They smelted metal and made tools and weapons of iron, steel, and brass. (E.g. Ether 7:9, 10:23) They owned domesticated horses and cattle. They possessed chariots. (E.g. Alma 18:9-12) The people covered the "entire land." The civilization described by these passages and scores of others in the Book of Mormon should yield certain types of discoveries in the pre-Colombian archaeological record. However, few such discoveries have been made...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archaeology_and_the_Book_of_Mormon

Quote:

Wheeled vehicles

The Book of Mormon mentions the use of chariots as a mode of transportation five times.[22] If these refer to wheeled vehicles, such as those widely used in the Middle East by 6th century BC (when the Lehites journeyed from Jerusalem to the New World), then the Book of Mormon is at odds with the known archaeological record. There are no archaeological evidences that any of the numerous ancient American civilizations used wheeled transportation. This is thought to be due to lack of draft animals (horse, bulls, camels, etc) on the American continent during pre-Columbian times. Although the Inca, the latest pre-Columbian civilization, used a vast network of paved roads (see Inca road system), these roads are so rough, steep and narrow that they appear to be unsuitable for wheeled use. Bridges that the Inca people built, and even continue to use and maintain today in some remote areas, are straw-rope bridges so narrow (about 2-3 feet wide) that no wheeled vehicle can fit (see image and technology at inca rope bridges). Inca roads were used mainly by chaski message runners and llama caravans.

Quote:
Ancient iron-works

The Book of Mormon states that metals, including iron and steel (an iron alloy), were produced and used among the Book of Mormon peoples. Critics point out that there is little evidence of steel production in central and southern America, and would have been difficult to produce steel in those locales, while apologists point to evidence in North America[citation needed].

Some controversial evidence exists that iron and steel metallurgy took place among North American indigenous groups. Two internet sources, [1] ,[2], neither affiliated with the LDS, present a few sites that may provide possible evidence. The first website covers not only possible sites in the East, but also provides a small amount of evidence that may indicate that Anasazi or Hohokam tribes in the Southwest performed iron smelting. One unusual site in Central Texas [3]presents a hypothesized furnace carved directly into the bedrock of an ancient creekbed, and includes hypothesized blow holes manufactured also in the limestone creekbed. Several iron bird effigies and an elephant effigy are presented to strengthen the hypothesis. This evidence is unfortunately weakened by poor chronological control and insufficient reporting of excavation. Most of the recorded evidence for iron smelting appears to be of recent or unknown dates. Despite that, the Hopewell culture, Adena culture, Mississippian culture, and many other groups clearly all practiced techniques to work copper and silver, and could slightly modify natural iron items. These forms of metal modification may have been quite sophisticated, but are not identical to iron or steel smelting or metallurgy.

Similarly, many Mesoamerican and South American cultures are thoroughly documented as working copper, and in some cases producing bronze. The Moche, Aztec, Maya, Inca, Olmec, Nazca, and others are all relevant examples. These techniques are quite ancient, but again, are not technically the same as the techniques needed for iron or steel metallurgy.

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.com/iron%20artifact%2037.jpg

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.com/iron%20artifact%2028.jpg

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.com/iron%20artifact%2012.jpg

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.com/iron%20artifact%2097.jpg

Quote:

Horses and elephants

Horses are mentioned about a dozen times in the Book of Mormon, and elephants in the Book of Ether.[20] LDS scholars have in some cases proposed a loose interpretation of terms, such as deer or tapir for horse, suggesting that immigrants from the Old World might have applied old names to new concepts. In other cases, LDS scholars have proposed alternate English word meanings, such as domestic herds for cattle, suggesting that the intuitive modern meaning of words may not always be the appropriate Book of Mormon meaning.

Horses first evolved in the Americas, and evidence has been found showing that pre-historic horses were hunted by early human ihabitants of the New World.[21] These horses co-existed among the other Pleistocene megafauna, including the various species of mammoths, which are members of the elephant family, and the mastadon which is a more distant relative of the elephant. The pre-historic species of New World horses became extict at the end of the last Ice Age, approximately 11,000 years ago, along with the mammoths and 70% of the large mammal species in North America (see New World Pleistocene Extinctions). Horses were not re-introduced to Americas until the arrival of the Spanish in the late 15th century.

Hey, David.

Ran across the above today, while doing research on Native American iron smelting.

Ancient iron works, wheeled vehicles, elephants, white Native Americans... Confused

Only thing, is the context of our finds seems to be much older than when the Mormon, Native American accounts supposedly occurred. Confused

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunday the 18th, I went to check out the Lucky site to see if any more artifacts or debitage had eroded out since the last rain. I was encouraged by the large Gary point I found a week earlier down in Caney Creek which matched in material a broken point I'd found at the Lucky site. After a couple of hours of collecting tiny flakes of exotic flint and novaculite I finally began to follow the trail upslope where I found a fairly large nodule of worked Tecovas flint. I began to dig down about 6 inches to the first mottled red and tan clay layer and I found about a dozen significant worked flakes and partial cores. The most significant was a large flake of white novaculite, which I knew from previous experience indicated a work area. In addition to Tecovas flint, I found debitage of red jasper and the usual red and gray mottled quartzite as well as a large flake of dark gray flint whose origin I do not know but it isn't local. I think I've finally found a main work area and it is probably going to turn out to be Fourche Maline, hopefully something earlier will be beneath that.

Toward the end of my four hour dig, one of Sam Lucky's paint ponies snuck up on me and began to nibble on my boot. Startled, I rolled over quickly and narrowly missed getting kicked in the head as the equally spooked paint lashed out with both hind hooves before trotting off.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
Sunday the 18th, I went to check out the Lucky site to see if any more artifacts or debitage had eroded out since the last rain. I was encouraged by the large Gary point I found a week earlier down in Caney Creek which matched in material a broken point I'd found at the Lucky site. After a couple of hours of collecting tiny flakes of exotic flint and novaculite I finally began to follow the trail upslope where I found a fairly large nodule of worked Tecovas flint. I began to dig down about 6 inches to the first mottled red and tan clay layer and I found about a dozen significant worked flakes and partial cores. The most significant was a large flake of white novaculite, which I knew from previous experience indicated a work area. In addition to Tecovas flint, I found debitage of red jasper and the usual red and gray mottled quartzite as well as a large flake of dark gray flint whose origin I do not know but it isn't local. I think I've finally found a main work area and it is probably going to turn out to be Fourche Maline, hopefully something earlier will be beneath that.

Toward the end of my four hour dig, one of Sam Lucky's paint ponies snuck up on me and began to nibble on my boot. Startled, I rolled over quickly and narrowly missed getting kicked in the head as the equally spooked paint lashed out with both hind hooves before trotting off.

Cool, David.

Sounds like you might be onto something cool.

Lol @ the horse encounter!! Laughing

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned to Caney Creek and the Lucky site yesterday. Of the two, Caney Creek turned out to be the most productive. In addition to three quartzite tools/cores I found a piece of completely mineralized bone. Somewhere on the creek I think there is probably more of a fossilized mammoth as parts of one were found just south of the creek in a field during plowing. These parts are presently on display at the Fannin County Historical Museum. The gravel bars are relatively recent alluvial deposits since digging down one quickly encounters black mud typical of the creek bottoms and uplands to the south. The very bottom of the creek exposes blue clay deposits which no doubt overlay older blue shale as exposed on the Suphur River in southern Fannin County. There are more extensive gravel bars to the west of where I found these artifacts but it will take some serious machete work to access them.

The Luck site produced more debitage, notably of red jasper and mottled orthoquartzite. I'm somewhat hampered by my agreement not to dig too deep and backfill my shallow probes right after I finish. Still I've narrowed down the work area and I expect to find more in the days to come.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
I returned to Caney Creek and the Lucky site yesterday. Of the two, Caney Creek turned out to be the most productive. In addition to three quartzite tools/cores I found a piece of completely mineralized bone. Somewhere on the creek I think there is probably more of a fossilized mammoth as parts of one were found just south of the creek in a field during plowing. These parts are presently on display at the Fannin County Historical Museum. The gravel bars are relatively recent alluvial deposits since digging down one quickly encounters black mud typical of the creek bottoms and uplands to the south. The very bottom of the creek exposes blue clay deposits which no doubt overlay older blue shale as exposed on the Suphur River in southern Fannin County. There are more extensive gravel bars to the west of where I found these artifacts but it will take some serious machete work to access them.

The Luck site produced more debitage, notably of red jasper and mottled orthoquartzite. I'm somewhat hampered by my agreement not to dig too deep and backfill my shallow probes right after I finish. Still I've narrowed down the work area and I expect to find more in the days to come.

Very cool, David.

Good to see things turning productive again! Cool

So the mammoth was fairly close to the surface, ey?

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally hacked my way through a forest of giant ragweeds and visited the Lucky Site again yesterday. Immediately I found a flake of yellowish chert which I think is Tecovas and later I found many more of the mottled gray and red quartzite which is more typical of this site. About the only real items of interest I found were a gray chert end scraper and a clast of black chert both materials being non-local. It's beginning to look as though this is a work site for expedient tools probably for a buffalo kill but again I've found very little in the way of bone in this area and none of it definitively showing butchering activities. The mixture of gray quartzite and finer cherts makes me think this is a multi-occupational site spanning many centuries from maybe Fourche-Maline to late prehistoric Wichita or Caddo. If I were able to excavate as deeply as my old site, I'm sure I would find older material indicating a seasonal campsite over the centuries. None of these surface finds are terribly exciting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: