Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chris Hardaker's The First American

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Chris Hardaker's The First American Reply with quote

Chris Hardaker's The First American: The Suppressed Story of the People Who Discovered the New World

Chris' book is now being presold on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/First-American-Suppressed-People-Discovered/dp/1564149420/sr=1-1/qid=1168863302/ref=sr_1_1/103-1684589-3896621?ie=UTF8&s=books

Quote:
Editorial Reviews

Book Description

Forty years ago, an amateur historian discovered an engraved mastodon bone near Mexico City, showing a virtual bestiary from the Ice Age. Harvard University took notice and excavated nearby sites around the Valsequillo Reservoir. They found perfectly buried kill sites with the oldest spearheads in the world. Some archaeologists postulated their age at 40,000 years, three times older than the official 12,000-year-old date for the first Americans. Then the shocker--United States Geology Survey (USGS) geologists came up with the date of 250,000 years old!

Even though these dates were published in peer-reviewed geological journals, archaeologists wrote off the geologists, saying they were mistaken and that their dates were too ridiculously old. Archaeologists never returned to the site and curiosity died out. Soon after, this once world-class archaeology region became off-limits for official research, a "professional forbidden zone."

The Valsequillo discoveries were legendary, but regarded as "fringe" by professional archaeologists. Why this radical turn-about? What was found that was so unspeakable, so impossible? What happened to these artifacts--America's earliest art and spearheads, and why don't archaeologists seem to care? In the new book, The First American, archaeologist Christopher Hardaker tries to unearth the mystery.

The book details the events of the discovery and its subsequent dismissal, as well as the attempt in 2001 by a wealthy outsider to find the truth about the Valsequillo discoveries. Included in The First American are photos of the original artifacts, and excerpts from reports, letters, and memos from the site participants themselves.

Archaeologists will once again be forced to ask the same question their mentors asked: Are we too in love with our own theories to ignore the evidence of science yet again? And readers will hear the real story of the great Valsequillo discoveries, the greatest story of early American man never told.

About the Author
Christopher Hardaker earned an MA in anthropology from the University of Arizona and has worked as a field archaeologist for 30 years, dividing his research between the nature of stone tools and using simple geometry to explore architectural traditions ranging from Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, to Washington, D.C. He first learned of the "professionally forbidden" older horizons of New World prehistory in 1977 on a visit to the Mojave Desert's Calico Early Man site established by the legendary Louis S. B. Leakey. It was there that he first heard the name Valsequillo. He is currently analyzing the astonishing 60,000-plus artifacts from Calico.

I'll definitely be ordering this sucker. Cool

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it will include any additional information other than what we have been shown privately, Charlie?
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David.

I don't think so, but I should ask him.

How's your daughter?

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, so good. She's had it under control for about a week. Maybe you should ask Chris to register here or at Classic Valsequillo, since he's sort of dropped off the radar at Ma'at the last few months.
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that, bro.

Will do.

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Chris Hardaker's The First American
Posted by: chard (IP Logged)
Date: January 19, 2007 11:00PM

Hi Folks,

There was a great gulf of time in between archaeological excavations at Valsequillo, specifically Hueyatlaco, the highest site, and the most productive on several levels, including an in situ technological transition.

The last year Cynthia Irwin-Williams dug there was 1966.
In 1973, Hal Malde, the lead geologist, got permission from Jose Lorenzo to do a geological trench, but no archaeology. It was the results of this expedition that became the 1981 QR paper, eight years later.

The next time there was any kind of excavation at Hueyatlaco was 2001, which was inspired by Marshall Payn, an outsider (MIT engineering graduate, past president of the Epigraphic Society), in conjunction with UNAM and INAH. There was a 35-year gulf between archaeological investigations, and none after 1973. The dates alone blew everyone out of the water. Kind of like Calico in 1970 when antiquity for the site was beginning to look a lot more like a half-million years. It's pretty tough to stomach, I admit. But at both Calico and Valsequillo, it was age alone that nullified the sites from any practical consideration, artifacts be damned. If anyone has any other resolve, I'd love to hear it.

Since 2001, all hell has broken out at Valsequillo. We got three (count 'em, three) geological models being postulated for the area. 40,000y, 250,000y, and 1,300,000y. (Do I hear 4004 B.C.?)

It is just wild, but it is all great news because it means folks are doing all sorts of work and crossing their t's twice. Anytime you have a lava date (Xalnene Tuff) that is 40,000y by one method and 1,300,000y with another method, you know there is excitement (PC for oops), This will be a feast for geoarchaeologists in the years to come. Around December, an online journal will include lead geologist, Hal Malde (USGS) and others "Debate at Hueyatlaco," which will discuss all three interpretations. Hal did the first geological map of the region during the 1960s. He disagrees with the Waters "recent inset" model, and Sylvia Gonzalez's footprint date of 40,000y. In fact, nobody agrees with anybody else, because, I guess if they do, they negate their own model. Could be a series. CSI Hueyatlaco.

Hopefully, this year, Waters or somebody(!!!) will collect bone samples for Uranium series tests, like he wanted to do in 2006 but never did. I guess we'll know by April or May when (and if) the dry season arrives.

Chris Hardaker

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess all the recent emails you and Allan sent persuaded Chris to come out of the woodwork. You did Chris some good free PR around the forum world, Charlie, and I spread it to a couple of places even further out in the fringe. The least Chris could do would be to sign our personal copies come June. Smile
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the final proof for Chris' bookcover:

http://cayman.globat.com/~bandstexas.com/FirstAmericanFinal.jpg

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent article by Chris:

http://forums.about.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=4&nav=display&webtag=ab-archaeology&tid=4628

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work in submitting that to about.com, Charlie! I got my copy of The First American on the 13th and am savoring every chapter. Yesterday, I wrote Chris congratulating and thanking him for bringing Valsequillo back into the spotlight. When I first was introduced to these "extreme paleo" sites about seven years ago, the subject was the province of a very few enthusiasts and though we told everyone who would listen, it remained a very obscure topic somewhere between the Fringe and dissident mainstream archaeology. If not for Virginia and a few others like George Carter it would have vanished into the Black Hole of public consciousness. Jeff Cooper and Henry Helene were in contact with George but I waited too long to get in touch with him and he died writing his last work down in Waco having retired from Texas A&M. With Ruth Simpson and Louis Leakey gone, I was afraid we'd lost the last voices in the archaeology community who championed the extreme dates at Calico, Valsequillo and a couple of other extreme paleo sites. Now it seems Chris has stepped up to the bat along with Virginia, Fred Budinger, Sam VanLandingham and the surviving Classic Valsequillo team.
I've admired Chris Hardaker's writing style ever since I "discovered" him in a link at TAS to his tribute to Julian Hayden. Many can present the technical facts but Chris has a knack for presenting them in an entertaining style accessible to interested laymen. You've done a yeoman job of getting the word out too, Charlie and a lot of recent exposure is due to your efforts. Chris said he'd be able to recognize every shoe sole on the planet by the time the academic community got through stomping him but the evidence down in Valsequillo was just too good. He has a realistic attitude toward what lies ahead but he definitely has a hardcore group of supporters here and elsewhere on the net. Onward through the fog!
Charlie Hatchett

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidCampbell wrote:
Great work in submitting that to about.com, Charlie! I got my copy of The First American on the 13th and am savoring every chapter. Yesterday, I wrote Chris congratulating and thanking him for bringing Valsequillo back into the spotlight. When I first was introduced to these "extreme paleo" sites about seven years ago, the subject was the province of a very few enthusiasts and though we told everyone who would listen, it remained a very obscure topic somewhere between the Fringe and dissident mainstream archaeology. If not for Virginia and a few others like George Carter it would have vanished into the Black Hole of public consciousness. Jeff Cooper and Henry Helene were in contact with George but I waited too long to get in touch with him and he died writing his last work down in Waco having retired from Texas A&M. With Ruth Simpson and Louis Leakey gone, I was afraid we'd lost the last voices in the archaeology community who championed the extreme dates at Calico, Valsequillo and a couple of other extreme paleo sites. Now it seems Chris has stepped up to the bat along with Virginia, Fred Budinger, Sam VanLandingham and the surviving Classic Valsequillo team.
I've admired Chris Hardaker's writing style ever since I "discovered" him in a link at TAS to his tribute to Julian Hayden. Many can present the technical facts but Chris has a knack for presenting them in an entertaining style accessible to interested laymen. You've done a yeoman job of getting the word out too, Charlie and a lot of recent exposure is due to your efforts. Chris said he'd be able to recognize every shoe sole on the planet by the time the academic community got through stomping him but the evidence down in Valsequillo was just too good. He has a realistic attitude toward what lies ahead but he definitely has a hardcore group of supporters here and elsewhere on the net. Onward through the fog!

Hi David.

I too enjoy Chris' writing style: Witty, intelligent and unstilted at the same time. I recall Jeff and you warning me that if I chose to present the central Texas site as "extreme paleo", it would be an uphill battle. At that point I had to decide if I wanted to play politics or seek truth. I think which decision I made is apparent. I've found that decision is not popular among many, but you know what, who cares, right?

I think it will be up to the new Valsequillo, Calico and other "extreme paleo" supporters to carry on the work of Carter, Simpson, Leaky, Steen-McIntyre, etc...It's up to us to become as knowledgeable about these sites as possible, and Virginia and Chris are excellent teachers, with much experience and hard to find data.

Onward through the fog, my man!!

"Pregunte la Autoridad"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: