Anarchaeology.com Forum Index Anarchaeology.com
Anarchaeology.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Gallery of Rockwall Photos Added

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidCampbell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: New Gallery of Rockwall Photos Added Reply with quote

Nick finally got the new Rockwall gallery up and it is linked at the Quivira section. You may need to refresh your browser if you have it bookmarked. Here's the link:
http://www.anarchaeology.com/quivira/02-07-07/Quivira/index.htm

Of special interest are the Hanby Stones which were discovered near John Lindsey's current residence late last year. These include inscriptions similar to the ones from Sanders' 1949 excavation. Not pictured is a triangular stone with no inscriptions found with those pictured. These are stones from the buried walls on the southern perimeter of the Rockwall rectangle of buried walls. They were used as footings for a home and smokehouse built around 1870 which has since collapsed and the remains removed. The inscripted sides had lain face down for over a century and show tool marks around the edges which are patinated. The central inscribed line, also patinated shows a 90 degree cut on one side and is obviously a tool cut line though the stone material is all but impervious to modern tool steel chisels. There is also another smaller tablet that has been found with wedge like inscriptions and two abraded prepared surfaces. It is not directly associated with the rock walls or the Hanby Stones but was found relatively close by in a shallow stream bed. I examined the site with John and the artifact was found at the boundary of the blue shale and the overlying tan clay which is probably a Pleistocene deposition. The signs of extensive bioturbation makes the date of the tablet extremely problematic. I made a few inquiries to professional archaeologists and they said they had never seen anything like it in Paleoindian to Late Prehistoric assemblages. The Glen Hill Mound is not far from this site but I don't know if there is a connection there either. It doesn't seem to be Caddoan related.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anarchaeology.com Forum Index -> Rockwall All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: